Wednesday, December 19, 2012

#39 Pondering "Mental Illness"

The horrible events that have unfolded recently have me pondering on the deeper, quieter concepts of human existence, particularly mine own. Without delving into political grandstanding, I will state that I do not believe guns are the issue, but our lack of care for the mentally ill is going to continue to cause untold tragedies until a solution is enacted. I just can't get my head wrapped around the whole Mental Illness issue.
FIGURE 1. Prevalence of current depression among adults aged ≥18 years, by state quartile — Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, United States, 2006
According to the Washington Post, only 5.6% of national health care spending goes towards mental health treatment. I found this map of depression on the CDC website. According to the World Health Organization, mental illness results in more disability in developed countries than any other group of illnesses, including cancer and heart disease. Other published studies report that about 25% of all U.S. adults have a mental illness and that nearly 50% of U.S. adults will develop at least one mental illness during their lifetime.
Here is the link to the Centers for Disease Control website so you can see the statistics for yourself: http://www.cdc.gov/ - type mental illness in the search box.
Here is the Bing dictionary definition:
mental illness
1.
psychiatric disorder: any psychiatric disorder that causes untypical behavior
 
I do not know enough about mental illness to even speculate what defines "normal" or "quirky" or "odd" from "ill." I suppose the line is drawn when a person cannot function in society. For example, they cannot be responsible enough to hold a job. Is that an illness? Or is it laziness? There must be other, additional factors. Can they function in a traditional relationship? In other words, is the 30 year old guy that still lives in Mom's basement ill? Or just very smart (malicious?) at manipulating other people to provide food, shelter, and necessities? Is the player mentally ill for not committing to a traditional relationship or just smart enough to realize that they don't want the responsibility?
I also looked to the SAMHSA website  http://www.samhsa.gov/healthreform/ for information. There were several articles devoted to the Affordable Care Act (known commonly as "Obamacare.) The main topic appears to be rehabilitation for addiction. Of course, someone who suffers from addiction is certainly encouraged to seek treatment and hopefully become a fully functioning citizen.
So, are all addicts considered mentally ill? Obviously it is a very different type of mental illness than that in which someone hallucinates, or becomes unreasonably violent, or seeks attention in inappropriate ways. What if they appear to be totally "normal" but they don't want to wear shoes? Does that mean they are mentally ill? Here is a link to an insurance question about the Affordable Care Act and mental illness: http://www.askforinsurance.com/health-insurance/obama-health-care-reform-and-mental-health-services.html
I took many classes in college that it seems should answer my questions about what, exactly, does "mentally ill" mean? Psychology, Sociology, Anatomy & Physiology, etc...the only conclusion I can come to is that people are expected to behave within certain parameters of society and that there is a fringe element that either chooses to not behave that way or cannot behave that way. They are you and me. They live and work and walk among us. How are we to distinguish who is suffering from depression due to a job loss versus who is going to back to that old job with the intent to cause bodily harm?
I am asking you, my readers, to please help me understand. Post your thoughts and comments.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter (Annabel) suffered from schizophrenia for 5 years. I had no idea what was happening and didn’t know where to turn for help. It was hard then because I really didn’t understand the symptoms earlier until she was diagnosed. There was a time she decided to get away from everyone, I was not excluded. I had to sit and cry almost every day because I felt helpless as a single mother (she is all I have got). The anguish I went through taking care of her alone is beyond explanation because there was no support whatsoever from the dad or family members. I fought for proper medical care and humane treatment; I did everything within my reach to get her cured but all to no avail. Countless different medications was prescribed (Zyprexa, fluphenazine, Risperdal, quetiapine, etc.) that she was taking but all we could get was myriad of side effects such as rigidity, drowsiness, dizziness, tremors and restlessness which tends to worsen the already damaged situation. Frustration was the order of the day. I wrote a couple of messages to Ontario Mental Health Foundation for help because watching my daughter go through such was devastating. It was at this foundation someone shared a testimony about DR James herba mix medicine, how effective it is and how she went through the most difficult times of her life trying to help her mom fight Schizophrenia. Being that I was already at the verge of giving up because I just couldn't imagine waking up every morning to fight the same demons that left me so tired the night before. I had to contact the doctor,on his email  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)  from our conversations; I was relieved and convinced that the result is going to be positive because I was made to contact people with worse cases. Today, the awful situation of my daughter has gone by. Her happy life is back. She is now a schizophrenia survivor and I am glad because my daily routine activities can now kick off without obstructions. Don't let Schizophrenia hinder you from living a desired life and also, never allow anyone to decide for you especially when they don't know what you have to go through to get to where you are. I was almost discouraged by the doctor but then, I remembered that: I have to shield my daughter’s destiny with courage, faith and perseverance because she is not in her right state of mind and that the bravery and freedom from fear is found in the ‘doing’. Her life is now a testimony. After my daughter got cured,from the herbal mix medicine Dr James prepared and sent to me, she said, Mom “I just thought, ‘Well, I’m a weirdo, I’ll never be normal, then I said, my daughter, life itself is a misery and we get stronger in the places we have been broken. Thanks to you Dr. James  for your excellent counseling, no more psychotic symptoms for the past 3 years and 4 months now. To know more about Dr.James and the effectiveness of his Herbs and roots extracts and he said he got cures for diseases like Bipolar,DIABETES, HPV,SHINGLES,CANCER, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASE, HERPES, Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, Bladder cancer,Skin cancer, Prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer,. You can reach him on his Email at ... drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.  I believe you will testify just like me

    ReplyDelete