Wednesday, August 1, 2012

#20 On being a Cosmetologist: I LOVE my job!

When I was in high school, my parents offered to allow me to attend a vocational-technical school in conjunction with my traditional education. Prior to the 1980's, vo-tech education was considered a must for non-college bound high school students - You learned a trade and went to work right after high school. Vo-tech students were condemned to a reputation of being not smart enough to get into college. By the time I was in high school, that attitude had changed to reflect the idea that some students wanted to learn a trade or skill that would help them get ahead in college. My parents strongly encouraged me to study cosmetology. It was a great idea: I could get a job cutting hair part-time while I attended college classes and I might get a career out of it. I already had artistic skills with make-up and hair but no formal training. I loved fashion and beauty. Being the stubborn teenager that I was, I refused, of course.
Fast forward about 15 years into the future. I was married with kids and the economy started to slow. I needed a job flexible enough to allow for family and religious obligations, something I could make some money at that wouldn't require a four year degree. I had already spent thousands on a college education I wasn't ever going to use. So I decided to enroll in beauty school.
Every state has different requirements for licensure. Pennsylvania, where I was at the time, requires 1250 hours. The school I attended, Empire Beauty School http://www.empire.edu/, required a bit more than that. Attendance was strictly monitored. Students were required to clock in like at a regular job in order to receive credit for their hours. There was also a dress code (black & white only), hair and make-up appropriate for work.
The school provided a starter kit that included a huge suitcase filled with cutting shears, rollers, combs, brushes, a blow-dryer, perm rods, perm wraps, nail polishes, a manicure kit, bobby pins, clips, a water bottle and mannequin heads to practice on.
The first six weeks were all in a classroom. Basic anatomy and physiology, sanitation, hygiene, use of tools, basic techniques, history, and chemistry lessons were taught. Every week my teacher, Ms. B, would hold some sort of competition to inspire our creativity. I won some.


 It was a very fun experience, but it was hard work and some classmates withdrew.
After those six weeks, the program started to incorporate actual clients. We asked our friends and family members to come in for free services. There was a  minimum number of services that had to be completed in order to be eligible to work in the school salon. I got all my services done and was ready to move up. My grades were good. I was still terrified.

The student salon was an interesting study. Most of the clientele were people who could not afford services at a regular shop, or they were friends and family of students. Clients could make appointments though most just walked in. Teachers would supervise all services, offering suggestions and assistance when needed. Every service was checked and noted for credit. Students had to take turns running the register, working in the dispensary, cleaning, greeting clients, etc. I loved it.
My favorite experience was the Future Professionals Expo, held at Hershey Park. I got to compete against students from 99 other beauty schools. I competed in the make-up category. I didn't win, but it was still a fantastic experience. Here is my entry: 


I graduated exactly ten months and 1 day from my first day there. I still keep in touch with many of my fellow students. Some are doing very well in the industry. Some never even went to get the license from the state.
I ended up here in NYC, working for a hair-care company, writing this blog as well as magazine articles, press releases, marketing copy, etc. I answer questions from stylists all over the country.
When I enrolled in beauty school, I expected to work in a salon day to day, occasionally doing make-up work for film or music videos or something really fun like a trade show or a fashion show. I never thought I would end up being a writer and consultant. I LOVE my job!
Please Note: All the pictures are of my work. The picture at the top is the first short haircut I ever did! Picture 2 is a close up of my friend Rita who was an awesome model for my Peacock make-up. I won first place for that.
The Mad Hatter picture is a team effort. I did the make-up.
The mermaid is my friend Christina. I did the make-up, hair, photography, layout and design.


No comments:

Post a Comment