Thursday, October 18, 2012

#33 Lucky Numbers Zero, One, & Two

Every day I see signs for the latest jackpot lottery. I know people win and most tickets start at $1. I rarely purchase one but when the jackpots get huge it's a tempation. I always accept whatever random numbers the machine chooses. I figure if I'm meant to win I only need $1 and the universe will conspire as to the rest. Some people have a whole routine when they purchase tickets. They spend a specific amount on specific numbers: family members birthdays, anniversaries, or just lucky numbers. Are numbers really lucky? I did some research on the significance of some numbers just to see:

Zero (0): did you know zero actually started out (and is still primarily used) as a concept rather than a number? Check out this article on the Origin of Zero http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=history-of-zero. Another interesting fact -  the original biblical Hebrew, ancient Aramaic nor later Greek nor Roman counting systems had a digit for zero.



One (1): here is wikipedia's information on the number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_(number) One of the more interesting notes is the way 1 is used in the entertainment and sports industries. In Indian culture, according to http://www.indianhindunames.com/character-nature-traits-lucky-number-1.htm people who are number ones tend to be political leaders but with dependency issues.



Two (2): Good things always come in pairs, right? Here is an entire explanation of the number two in the Torah: http://www.betemunah.org/two.html . Number 2 indicates balance in Tarot.


2 is also a lucky Chinese number, according to Wikipedia, which says,
Two
The number 2 (二 or 两, Pinyin:èr or liăng) is most often considered a good number in Chinese culture. There is a Chinese saying: "good things come in pairs". It is common to repeat characters in product brand names, such as double happiness, which even has its own character 囍, a combination of two 喜. In Cantonese, two (jyutping: ji6 or loeng5) is homophone of the characters for "easy" (易) and "bright" (亮). In Northern China, the number, when used as an adjective, can also mean "stupid".[1]




I could research and write about numbers and numerology all day and not find out everything. It is truly a fascinating topic. I'm a beautician, not a mathemetician, so I think I will stop here for now and continue to let the machines choose my numbers for me. Good luck with yours!













No comments:

Post a Comment