Wednesday, July 18, 2012

#11 Subway Station Art in NYC

NYC cannot function without it's subway system. The system started back in the 1800's. Basically there were two private, independent companies that competed with each other for subway fares. And then...well, to put it simply, the city goverment got involved. The fares were fixed and so neither company could compete effectively. Eventually, the city bought both systems, leading to today's "modern" subway system in NYC. I am hesitant to call it modern because the train stations have not been upgraded (or cleaned?) since the 1930's. Most stations no longer have public bathrooms, the once beautiful artwork in the stations has long since been covered with grime. It makes me sad as I look up at the ceiling of the 168 St Station and I can see where beautiful chandeliers used to hang. Quite a few of the stations have lovely mosaics reflecting the area of the city that they serve. For example, the 42nd St station, which resides underneath Times Square, has a mosaic that runs the length of the corridor. It features people celebrating New Year's, blowing horns and celebrating in their winter coats.
I have attached some photos of some pieces. I feel as if these stations are a part of NYC history, and it's a shame that they are slowly decaying away. I certainly hope that if the city does decide to upgrade the subway system (and I'm sure eventually they will) that they will preserve the mosaics and even some of the classic architecture.




No comments:

Post a Comment