Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#15 on M.C. Escher & the Art of Mathematics

I first noticed M.C. Escher's (1898-1972) art in the mall when I was very young. The black and white patterns were fascinating, and I remember staring at them until my parents pulled me away. As an adult, I occasionally saw them, or references to them (Labyrinth comes to mind) here and there, but I never paid much attention. The first time I went to visit my friends David and Sarah, about 12 years ago this fall, I was astonished at the collection of prints they had on the wall in their rec room. A whole bunch of M.C. Escher's work to study up close. Fish that magically transform into birds. Staircases that never end. Can water flow uphill? Here are some of the more fascinating ones:




For more information on M.C. Escher, visit http://mcescher.com/ . You can order prints and see a gallery of his works too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment