Tuesday, July 24, 2012

#14 Top Ten Films?

I love movies! I love the escapism of film. I experience a good film as if I was actually living in it. After the film is over, I sometimes feel a little disoriented as I'm leaving the theater. I read that this is a sign that I actually was hypnotized by the movie and my brain is disoriented by the sudden harsh encroachment of reality.
The latest movie to be very popular is the newest version of Batman. Personally, I love the Batman comics and I've enjoyed many of the tv and film versions. Forgive me, but I'm kinda Batmanned out. In the meantime, I found a list of the top ten films of all time. I am curious: do these films make YOUR top ten?
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/top-movies-of-all-time.asp

1) Forrest Gump - Loved it. Yes, it's an artificially inflated life story, but it's a fun way to think of how one person can experience and influence life. Interestingly, the character in the book was a foul-mouthed, unlikeable man, where the Tom Hanks portrayal is so loyal and loving that he can be forgiven for his childlike mannerisms without hesitation. The special effects that make it look like historical events and people are actually in the film are amazing. And the lesson that sometimes we all need to throw shoes (and sometimes there arent enough shoes) is universal. I loved the casting, the soundtrack, and LT. Dan. Top ten? Yes, I can say it's one of my favorites too.

2) The Godfather. Wow - what a film. I read the book and the movie actually did it justice. Unfortunately it also embraced stereotypes and created new ones. Perfect casting, gorgeous soundtrack. I love how the story travels through time, showing how relationships ebb and flow, how time can sometimes heal, how one seemingly small comment can change an entire world. The first of three, and definitely the best of the three. Absolutely one of my top ten.

3) Titanic. Ok, for those of you who are fans of this film, please skip this paragraph. I HATED this movie. I hated the artistic license they took with the story, I hated the historical inaccuracies, I hated the stupid love scene in the car, I hated the soundtrack. And I knew what was going to happen at the end which wasn't even justified by the silly story. Top ten WORST on my list.

4) The Shawshank Redemption. LOVED the book. If you've read this far, you will notice that yes, I always read the book before I see the film. This movie really reflected the sentiments of the book: that sometimes bad things happen to good people, and sometimes good people do bad things, and sometimes faith and patience are the only things that can make things right. I still prefer the book to the film, but I will allow this on my top ten.

5) Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Well, I can't specifically separate this film from the other two LOTR films, as they were filmed all at once and just split in three. So much of the original story was edited out that it was like LOTR lite. The scenery, the music and a lot of the acting was really well done. Still, I'm not sure they would make my top ten. Top twenty, yes, but top ten? Not sure.

6) Requiem for a Dream. Can't comment cause I haven't seen it. Sorry.

7) The Dark Knight. Another batman retelling. See my opening comments. I can't put this on my top ten.

8) Gladiator. Really? Wow...nope. Not even top twenty. See Titanic comments.

9) Fight Club. fun movie to watch, but top ten? NO WAY.

10) The Matrix. I loved this film when I first saw it. The special effects were amazing at the time, and the whole mindbending idea of alternate realities is definitely something I enjoy. Keanu Reeves is always going to be the goofy kid in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." That seemed like a much more natural fit for him. I enjoyed all the  Alice in Wonderland references. Yes, I get the joke. The subsequent two films in this series really disappointed, relying heavily on special effects instead of fleshing out characters and story arcs. So be it. Top twenty: ok, for the story, but not top ten.

So out of this person's list I agree with three films being on my top ten list. sigh....
What films would I add instead?

Rabbit-Proof Fence 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252444/

A serious look at the policies of Australia that viewed "half-caste" children (those of mixed Aboriginal and White parentage) as being useful for domestic help. It was the opinion of the Australian government that the Aborigine could be "bred out" within three generations and the descendents could then integrate into "normal" society. This is the true story of how three girls were stolen from their mother and how they survived and managed to get home. Amazing acting, and a story that makes you feel every emotion. Fantastic film. Most likely candidate for my #1 favorite film of all time.

GoodFellas
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099685/
Another true story of what the REAL mob was like, both the supposed glamour and the gritty, harsh reality that the arm of the law is long, and loyalty only goes as far as greed will allow it to.

The Usual Suspects
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114814/ One of those films that if I watched TV and it was on, I would drop whatever i was doing to watch it again.
To quote IMDB:
Following a truck hijack in New York, five conmen are arrested and brought together for questioning. As none of them is guilty, they plan a revenge operation against the police. The operation goes well, but then the influence of a legendary mastermind criminal called Keyser Söze is felt. It becomes clear that each one of them has wronged Söze at some point and must pay back now. The payback job leaves 27 men dead in a boat explosion, but the real question arises now: Who actually is Keyser Söze?Written by Soumitra  

Schindler's List
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/
From Imdb: Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp. A testament for the good in all of us.Written by Harald Mayr <marvin@bike.augusta.de> 
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The Departed
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407887/ I love this version of the story, but I enjoyed the Chinese original as well, plus it's sequel. Here is the Imdb write up:

In South Boston, the state police force is waging war on Irish-American organized crime. Young undercover cop Billy Costigan is assigned to infiltrate the mob syndicate run by gangland chief Frank Costello. While Billy quickly gains Costello's confidence, Colin Sullivan, a hardened young criminal who has infiltrated the state police as an informer for the syndicate, is rising to a position of power in the Special Investigation Unit. Each man becomes deeply consumed by his double life, gathering information about the plans and counter-plans of the operations he has penetrated. But when it becomes clear to both the mob and the police that there's a mole in their midst, Billy and Colin are suddenly in danger of being caught and exposed to the enemy-and each must race to uncover the identity of the other man in time to save himself. But is either willing to turn on the friends and comrades they've made during their long stints undercover?Written by Anonymous 

Alien
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/ Scares the crap out of me, but I LOVE this film.
Imdb: The crew of the deep space mining ship Nostromo are awaken from hypersleep to investigate a strange signal from a nearby planet. While investigating the signal, they discover it was intended as a warning, and not an SOS.Written by Colin Tinto <cst@imdb.com> 

The Princess Bride
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/ I'm a sucker for a fairy tale. Especially one that is so dryly making fun of all other fairy tales. You may think this film doesn't belong on my top ten list considering the genre, but I absolutely adore this movie. It has heart and humor without being preachy. And I still answer some people's demands with, "As you wish."
Imdb: A kindly grandfather sits down with his ill grandson and reads him a story. The story is one that has been passed down from father to son for generations. As the grandfather reads the story, the action comes alive. The story is a classic tale of love and adventure as the beautiful Buttercup, engaged to the odious Prince Humperdinck, is kidnapped and held against her will in order to start a war, It is up to Westley (her childhood beau, now returned as the Dread Pirate Roberts) to save her. On the way he meets a thief and his hired helpers, an accomplished swordsman and a huge, super strong giant, both of whom become Westley's companions in his quest.Written by Afterburner <aburner@erols.com> 





No comments:

Post a Comment