Monday, July 16, 2012

Shoe Maven

Good Morning! If you have ever had an interest in fashion or design, you have probably heard of the Fashion Institute of Technology here in NYC.  http://www.fitnyc.edu/ Its a college devoted to fashion and they even have a free museum open to the public. I haven't toured the museum yet but I will write it up as soon as I do. That being said, I am surrounded by people on the forefront of the fashion industry. I love walking down the street in my ordinary American mom clothes (we have a casual office where jeans are ok) and I end up walking next to a tall, thin model in haute couture with sky-high heels. At least it seems that way since I'm only 5' tall.
 I have noticed a trend amongst many on the train and in the neighborhood. Tom's Shoes seem to be very popular right now. Please understand, I LOVE shoes. My brother-in-law owned a shoe store and I can't tell you how it felt when he retired and sold the store. So yes, I look at everyone's shoes. Forgive me.
 I complimented a lady on the train on her black, bubbly, comfy looking shoes and she gave me a bright smile and said, cheerily, "They're Tom's!"
So I visited the Tom's website http://www.toms.com/ and it turns out that for every pair of shoes you purchase, they donate a pair. They come in a wide variety of styles and colors for women and men. They also sell eyewear. I was told by the lady on the train that they are extremely comfortable and I guess it's true since I'm seeing them everywhere. She also said they stretch so they need to be a half size smaller than usual.
The closest Tom's retailer to my work is Whole Foods, which sells the shoes in their pharmacy section. Not sure if that makes any sense, but I think I will visit and try on a pair to see what the deal is.
And now back to work. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment